Southwest Is Celebrating Its Birthday With $39 Flights!
Southwest Airlines decided to do the gift-giving for its 46th birthday this year! To celebrate this milestone, travelers can get some incredible deals on flights, including fares as low as $39.
Destinations include cities in the U.S., Mexico and Latin America. Simply go to the Southwest Birthday Sale webpage and choose where you want to go. You need to act fast on these deals, though. The sale only lasts until 11:59 p.m. June 15. After that, the birthday celebration ends.
When Can You Travel With These Southwest Fares?
Travel dates run from Aug. 22 through Dec. 16, 2017. Southwest does list a few blackout dates for this special including:
- Sept. 1 and 4
- Nov. 21-22 and Nov. 25-27 (Thanksgiving week)
Where Do You Want Southwest To Take You?
Now you just need to decide where you want to go? Need a little inspiration? We’ve taken a look at some of the best deals being offered (all prices listed are for one-way flights):
1. Oakland, CA To Reno/Tahoe NV ($39)
Escape to Lake Tahoe this summer or early fall for hiking and lake activities or plan an early winter getaway to get in some skiing before the end of the year. If gambling’s more your speed, stay in Reno or head to South Lake Tahoe for some fun nightlife offerings.
Why drive the several-hour journey to the Lake Tahoe area when you can fly for $39 one-way?
2. Milwaukee, WI To Nashville, TN ($49)
Escape to Nashville for a long late-summer weekend or fall getaway once the Midwestern weather starts to cool. Music, history and food combine to make “Music City, U.S.A.” a must-visit destination. The Tennessee capital was recently named a Frommer’s “Best Place To Go” and a Travel & Leisure “Best Place To Travel,” so you can’t really go wrong.
3. Washington, DC To Orlando, FL ($87)
Disney and Universal fans know that a trip to their favorite theme parks will end up costing a significant amount of dough. Thanks to this Southwest sale, your flight won’t have to cost you a fortune.
Need some extra convincing? The new “Avatar” ride at Disney World is supposed to be one of the theme park’s best in years, and for the first time, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter will get the Christmas treatment starting in November.
4. Denver, CO To Austin, TX ($91)
Head to the capital of Texas for the food, stay for the culture. Since the city’s two uber-popular festivals, South by Southwest and Austin City Limits, both happen in the spring, planning a summer, fall or early winter getaway means you won’t have to brave quite so many fellow tourists. If you’re a college football fan, try to catch a Longhorns game.
5. Cincinnati, OH To Chicago, IL ($59)
While you could drive from Cincy to Chicago, with fares this low, why would you? Aside from the world-class museums and dining, there are numerous festivals nearly every weekend in Chicago during the late-summer and throughout the fall.
Check out the Windy City Wine Festival September 8-9, for example, or go for the Chicago Marathon October 8—a worthwhile event even if you’re not running in it!
If you’re a baseball fan, try to score a seat to a Cubs game at the historic Wrigley Field for a truly Chicago experience.
6. Indianapolis, IN To Boston, MA ($106)
Soak in the history of one of the oldest cities in the U.S., then fill your bellies after a long day of touring with top-notch dining of every kind. If time allows, take some time to drive out to Cape Cod for fresh seafood, awesome beaches and a relaxed vibe.
Here’s a sampling of some other low fares you won’t want to miss:
- Baltimore, MD to Cincinnati, OH
- Chicago, IL to Cincinnati, OH
- Cleveland, OH to Milwaukee, WI
- Las Vegas, NV to San Diego, CA
- Portland, OR to St. Louis, MO
- Detroit, MI to Nashville, TN
- Ft. Lauderdale, FL to New Orleans, LA
- Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Havana, Cuba
- Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Mexico City, Mexico
- Little Rock, AR to Dallas, TX
- Tampa, FL to Havana, Cuba
You can find hundreds of participating flights on the Southwest promotional webpage.
Before you book, here are a few other things to keep in mind regarding restrictions:
- Fares are only valid on nonstop service
- Travel only available for one-way, Wanna Get Away fares
- Taxes and fees are not included in the sale price
- Travel to and from San Juan, Puerto Rico valid only from Sept. 6 through Dec. 7
- International travel valid from Aug. 22 through Dec. 13.
- Fares are non-refundable
For a full list of fare terms and guidelines, visit the official Southwest webpage.